There is nothing wrong with being a tourist or a travler, but you don't always want to apear as one. Keep in mind some of these tips while you are on the street in an unfamiliar city.
- Study a map before going out. Then once you are on the street use a pocket-wsize guidebook.
- Dress down.
- Don't wear a lot of jewelery, it can be easily stolen. Do wear a wedding ring though.
- Loop a money belt around your belt loops so that if someone cuts it, it won't fall from your waist.
- Be wary when getting off a bus or train, or riding stairs and escalators; that's when pickpockets tend to strike.
- Carry just one credit card and photocopies of important documetns.
- Don't expose your large wad of bills.
- Become familiar with foreign currency.
- If a car starts to follow you, immediately turn and walk the opposite way.
- If you need to ask for directions, ask families or women with children.
- On sidewalks, keep your handbag and other valables away from the street side
- If attacked, run, fight, and yell as loud as possible.
- When in a restaurant, slip your foot through the strap on your bag so no one can run off with it.
I hope you took something away from these surefire safety tips. If there is something I forgot or something you think should be added to the list, feel free to let me know. Traveling is a fun adventure. It allows you to explore the world and make memories that will last a lifetime. However, there are people out there who want to take advantage of travelers, stealing their money, belongings, or hurting them. Watch out for yourself while out of town and continue adventuring through travel.