Keep Your Home Safe While Out Of Town
Fargo, ND - According to the Fargo Police Department nearly 50 garage break-ins have occurred in the past month alone. With the holiday travel season right around the corner even more people will be away from home for extended periods of time, leaving homes and garages vulnerable. Travel Travel Carlson Wagonlit would like to encourage residents to keep their homes and garages safe while they are out of town by doing the following:
- Lock all of your windows and doors in your home, car and garage ------Many break-ins occur because the car or house is unlocked and easily accessible. Making it difficult to enter your home may just be enough to encourage the burglar to move on.
- Remove all hidden keys outside your home
You may think your hiding spot is ingenious but criminal minds are clever and, in many cases, the "hidden" key is nothing but easy access.
- Set lights and a radio or tv on a timer
Making yourself appear to be home is one of the best ways to ward off intruders.
- Close your blinds and curtains
- Remove all valuables from your car and garage, including cameras, ipods, stereos, and tools
- Contact trusted neighbors and inform them of your trip
- Contact your local police department and let them know how long you will be gone
Many local police departments will issue extra patrol of your neighborhood while you are out of town. The Moorhead Police Department even has a request form on their website: http://www.moorheadpolice.com/.
Failing to secure homes and garages before leaving town will only add stress to what should be a relaxing trip. Travel Travel Carlson Wagonlit wants every resident to feel safe and happy during the fall and winter seasons.